Photobucket

Thursday, March 4, 2010

It Was Over With One Bite ...

Recently, I was waiting for my sandwich at the deli downstairs from my office. As I was waiting I heard – then turned to see – a woman eating lunch at the counter with what looked to be her work colleague. It was a most unfortunate sight.

While she was attractive and well-dressed, her eating habits were nothing short of horrifying. I could hear her chomping on chips – over the noise of the deli and despite standing over 6 feet away. She chewed with her mouth open – not once did I see her lips close together. Granted, I may have missed it. I tried not to stare so my eyes were not on her the entire time. She took huge bites of her sandwich which she then stowed away in her cheek as she spoke. She looked like a squirrel with a gargantuan nut. Now I know the sandwiches at this deli are delicious, and I, too, am tempted to take big bites – but that is not the proper way to eat.

Poor table manners are bad enough. But she was eating with someone who looked like a work colleague. All I could think of was, “what must that colleague think of her?” What a shame.

It doesn’t matter how attractive you are or now well-dressed you are when you don’t have a solid foundation of proper dining etiquette; your professional, well-mannered deportment is over, sometimes with just one bite. You simply do not present well. To be marvelously well-mannered, remember to chew with your mouth closed, eat quietly, and while you are not supposed to talk with your mouth full, it is often hard to avoid talking with at least a bit of food in your mouth. When you do, take small bites of your food so you can talk without looking like a squirrel getting ready for winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment