Photobucket

Sunday, November 14, 2010

TO ERR IS HUMAN, TO FORGIVE DIVINE.

"It is part of the highest civility if, while never erring yourself, you ignore the errors of others." Erasmus

No one is entitled to be the etiquette police and "correct" people for manners transgressions.  We all may violate this rule once in awhile - usually with a close friend or a relative but that doesn't make it right.  

Really, who wants to share company with someone who criticizes others?  I know I don't like to be with "those" people either.   And I like it even less when I have been one of "those" people.  Even though I have done it with the best of intentions, I do apologize for the times I have violated this simple rule of common courtesy.

Marvelously well-mannered people do not correct others, and marvelously well-mannered people especially do not correct loved ones out in public.   If you have done it, apologize.  Remember, marvelously well-mannered people try to make others feel comfortable and welcome. 

Have you ever corrected someone in public and regretted it?  Have you ever been corrected? How did it make you feel?

No comments:

Post a Comment