Photobucket

Sunday, December 5, 2010

LEAVE SOONER, DRIVE SLOWER, LIVE LONGER.

That highway safety billboard message sums it up rather well.

Having children has definitely made me a better driver.  I have my very own eagle-eyed co-pilot in the back seat who will note if she thinks I am going too fast (for the record I was going the speed limit).   I don't speed or tailgate anymore.  And I try to give the other person the benefit of the doubt if they do a less than stellar move.   I do this because I think of the precious cargo I am transporting.  But what I failed to recognize before I had children is that other cars are filled with someone else's precious cargo as well.

People might not associate good driving with good manners but good (safe) driving necessarily requires good manners.   If you are distracted or are just thinking of yourself you cannot be focused on the safety and well-being of those also sharing the road.   Don't text, groom, or use cellphones (without hands-free devices).   Give yourself more time to get where you are going, and give the benefit of the doubt to the other driver.  Maybe they really do have an emergency, are really late, are lost, or are just having a really bad day.  Try not to take their rude or bothersome driving personally.

Most mornings I let someone in front of me or I try to do something "nice" to a fellow road traveler.  It makes for a much more pleasant ride.  Do you have any tricks for decreasing your stress when driving?

No comments:

Post a Comment